|Pearls Make Holiday Shopping Easy
Some people love holiday shopping, and others dread it. Finding the perfect gift can be stressful. Many men have trouble finding a gift that shows their love for the women in their lives. They want something feminine and practical, and, most importantly, something that the recipient will want to keep forever.
There is such a gift: cultured pearl jewelry.
Pearls are the perfect gift for every woman. Women who wear jewelry all the time love pearls, and so do women who only wear jewelry on special occasions. Women who are fashion-conscious and women who are not will be thrilled to have their own cultured pearls. Women of all ages appreciate pearls. Because pearls come in all styles and prices, it is possible to make an excellent choice for your budget.
A strand of cultured pearls is elegant but functional. It goes as well with a business suit as it does with a cocktail dress or casual blouse. Cultured pearls are an essential part of every woman's wardrobe. A young girl’s first “real” piece of jewelry could be a pair of pearl earrings. She will wear them on dates, to graduation, and on job interviews. On her wedding day, these earrings could be the “something old” that she wears as she walks down the aisle. Your mother or grandmother probably has a strand of Akoya cultured pearls that she received as a gift years ago. A matching bracelet, ring, or brooch will show her how much you love and cherish her.
You do not have to be an expert on pearls to select and purchase them. With a little preparation, shopping for pearls can be easy. It is recommended to buy from a jeweler that you trust. Ask friends, relatives, and co-workers who their favorite jewelers are.
Once you have one or more fine jewelers in mind, you can start learning about pearls. By knowing to what to look for, you can ask
informed questions and make a wise selection.
Pearls are judged according to five criteria:
1. Luster: Luster is a combination of surface shine and a deep, glow that radiates from within the pearl. To judge luster, look at your reflection in the pearl’s surface. The clearer and crisper the reflection, the better the luster and more valuable the pearl. You should reject pearls that are chalky or dull.
2. Surface: Because cultured pearls are natural, expect some small pits, bumps, or spots. As a rule, the fewer blemishes on a pearl, the higher its quality.
3. Shape: The rounder a pearl, the more valuable it is. However, less expensive baroque pearls can be very beautiful because of their irregularities.
4. Color: Cultured pearls come in silver/white, rose, cream, and gold shades. When deciding upon color, keep in mind that as a very general rule, lighter pearls tend to flatter lighter skins, and darker pearls tend to flatter darker skins. At the same time, don’t let rules dictate your preferences.
5. Size: Cultured pearls are measured by their diameter. The diameter of cultured pearls ranges from 2 to 10 millimeters. Larger pearls are more valuable, and more expensive than smaller ones, all things being equal.
Cultured pearl jewelry is the ideal holiday gift. As long as you know where to look, what to look for, and keep your budget in mind, buying pearls as holiday gifts can be easy.
Premiumpearl.com is a leading online provider of quality pearl jewelry. For more information and an introduction to cultured pearls, please visit us at www.premiumpearl.com.